Looking for brighter, whiter teeth? look no further than ItalDent Basingstoke teeth whitening
With over 25 years’ experience in cosmetic dentistry and teeth whitening we have been the leading practice in Basingstoke for this type of treatment. If you have stained teeth that make you feel self-conscious about smiling, teeth whitening can be an effective solution to give you a whiter, brighter smile.
Teeth will naturally discolour over time, but smoking and some food and drinks can also cause hard-to-shift stains. Teeth may also be discoloured with speckled enamel, white banding or coloured spots. They can occasionally be stained during development by certain medications.
At ItalDent, we offer teeth whitening with a free initial consultation. We listen to your concerns about the colour of your teeth, then assess your needs and tailor our teeth whitening treatment to give you a natural-looking, brighter smile.
How does ItalDent teeth whitening work?
We have a robust process that we believe will give you the best results for your tooth appearance.
- The dentist will take impressions of your teeth.
- We will show you how to apply the tooth whitening gel to the mouth trays.
- You will need to use the whitening gel and wear the trays every day for a length of time specified by the dentist.
- This normally takes two to four weeks, depending on your individual needs and target whiteness.
- Be aware deep stains can reappear on your teeth over time, especially if you smoke or regularly drink tea, coffee or red wine.
Teeth whitening is suitable for most people aged over 18. If you have gum disease, are pregnant or are breastfeeding then consult with the dentist first.
Frequently asked questions about teeth whitening
Is tooth whitening a good idea?
Tooth whitening has become a common aesthetic procedure in general dentistry. As a person ages the adult teeth often become darker due to changes in the mineral of the tooth, as the enamel becomes less porous. In addition the teeth can also become stained by bacterial pigments, dietary habits (such as drinking coffee, tea, red wine) and smoking. Tooth whitening is affordable and a very effective way to combat common causes of tooth discoloration, while boosting your self-confidence and improving your appearance.
How does it work?
Tooth whitening is, for the majority of patients, a very effective, affordable and safe treatment. Oxidising agents such as hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide are used to lighten the shade of the teeth. The oxidising agent penetrates the porous areas in the rod-like crystal structure of enamel and oxidises interprismatic stain deposits. Over time, the dentine layer underneath the enamel is also whitened.
Is it safe?
Teeth whitening is considered to be one of the safest treatments available in dentistry and does not cause any damage to teeth structure. Some patients experience small side effects such as temporary tooth sensitivity, however that nearly always goes away after 1 or 2 days.
Which is the best method for tooth whitening?
In our experience the tooth whitening method that shows most advantages and best results is at-home whitening with whitening gel.
This is only available from your dentist, who will supervise your treatment from initial consultation through to completion. Your dentist will take impressions of your upper and lower teeth and will use them to make personalised whitening trays which will perfectly fit to your teeth. Using very accurately fitting personalised trays is very important as they will keep the sticky, viscous gel in better contact with teeth surfaces to be whitened. This means a longer exposure and also helps prevent migration to gums. Whitening trays will need to be worn by the patient for at least 4 hours per treatment session and can be kept in mouth overnight.
Advantages of At-Home-Whitening
- Most effective method for tooth whitening.
- Limited treatment time in surgery and so less expensive.
- Patient can check the teeth shade after every application and stop treatment when happy with their result.
- Very easy and cost effective to repeat the treatment if necessary in the future.
- Gel contains Potassium Fluoride (PF), which helps to improve oral health by strengthening enamel, decreasing sensitivity and offering increased cavity prevention.
Disadvantages of At-Home-Whitening
- Some patients experience temporary tooth sensitivity.
- The only disadvantage compared to whitening with light is that it takes longer. At-home tooth whitening with gel can provide results after just one night, though expect to see results in about a week.
Does teeth whitening last?
The effects of teeth whitening can last several months, but this may vary depending on the lifestyle of the patient. Factors that decrease whitening include smoking and the ingestion of dark coloured liquids like coffee, tea and red wine. Whitening treatment can be repeated though. Gel-at-home whitening systems allow patients to buy extra whitening gel from the dental practice and use it with the customised whitening trays. A new prescription from the dentist is not necessary.